0191 2859270


Registered Charity No: 1121062

How to get help with costs


If you would like Social Services to pay for your care they will means-test you. They will ask about your weekly income including pensions, earnings and benefits and about your savings and investments. The value of your home or car is not considered and they will generally ignore any savings or investments you may have if they are less than about £13,000 (the figures vary from area to area).


The Council will then work out how much you may need to pay towards the cost of providing you with care. If you have savings or investments of between approximately £13,000 and £21,000 they will ask you for a contribution to the costs. If you have more than about £21,000 in savings or investments you will have to pay for the full cost of your care.


If you are entitled to local authority financial support, as an alternative to actually providing you with care, councils are now obliged (if you meet certain conditions) to offer you Direct Payments. With this regular cash income you can opt to pay for private care services.


If you are a volunteer Carer (e.g. a relative or neighbour) you may also be able to get Direct Payments


You cannot use Direct Payments to pay for permanent places in residential or nursing homes or to buy care from the council. For more details see the DirectGov website.


Social services can also suggest special equipment to make your life easier, e.g., grab rails and bathroom aids.


Grants for adapting housing may be available from local Community Occupational Therapists (details available through your GP).


For more information about getting help from the Social Services contact the care managers via your local county council office.

Your local Social Services can arrange and may pay for, or contribute towards, the cost of your care.